Registration of New Students
Students in all grade levels who are new to the Atlanta Public Schools should register as soon as possible. Students registering for pre‐kindergarten must be four years of age on or before September 1. Kindergarten students must be five years old and first‐graders must be six years old on or before September 1. The documents listed below are required for students enrolling for the first time and students transferring within the system.
1. Withdrawal form from previous school (if applicable) along with transcript and/or grade record and discipline report from previous school and address of previous school
2. Official Certificate of Birth
3. Social Security Card or Objection to Use of SSN
4. Georgia Certificate of Immunization (Form 3231) or notarized affidavit is allowed for school enrollment in lieu of an immunization record for parents who will not allow their children to be immunized due to their religious beliefs. The notarized affidavit is placed in the student’s Permanent Record Folder (PRF) in the place of the immunization record.
5. Georgia Certificate of Ear, Eye and Dental Examination (Form 3300)
6. Parent’s or guardian’s proof of residence must be provided on an annual basis and upon transferring a child from one school zone to another.
7. Proof of Legal Guardianship (if applicable). Relatives other than the grandparents or non‐relatives with whom students are residing must have legal guardianship. Person without guardianship must complete a Non‐Parental Affidavit which grants 30 days for the person to complete the guardianship process.
8. Proof of Residency along with a General Enrollment Affidavit or Affidavit of Residency.
Pre‐Kindergarten Program (Pre‐K)
For information regarding Pre‐Kindergarten Programs contact the Pre‐K Department at 404‐802‐3638 or 404‐802‐3640. The Pre‐K office is located at 225 James P. Brawley Drive Atlanta, GA 30314.
The Atlanta Board of Education requires that all parents and legal guardians enrolling students in an Atlanta public school present a valid Georgia certificate of immunization, certificate of medical exemption or a notarized affidavit of religious objection to the principal or designee. Students without proper documentation may be conditionally enrolled for a limited time under conditions set forth in state law and Georgia Department of Human Resources Rules. Failure to comply with Georgia immunization law shall result in the exclusion of the students from school. In the event of an outbreak, epidemic or threatened epidemic of any of the preventable diseases, students without a valid Georgia certificate of immunization shall be excluded from school until the health threat no longer exists.
Students must present the following documents at the time of school enrollment:
· Georgia Certificate of Immunization (Form 3231) or a notarized “Affidavit of Religious Objection” affirming that immunization requirements conflict with parents' religious beliefs.
· Children entering grades K‐12 for the first time must show proof of vaccination or immunity to varicella.
· Children entering the 6th grade are required to show proof of vaccination or immunity to varicella and proof of a second dose of the vaccine that includes measles (usually in the form of MMR).