Joseph W. Humphries Elementary School was named after the honorable Joseph W. Humphries, an eminent member of the Fulton County Board of Education. The school opened in 1916 as a Fulton County School with only four rooms. In 1951 Humphries was converted to an Atlanta Public School. Structural additions were made in 1932, 1950, 1967, 1994, 1997-98 and 2001.
Currently, we are serving more than 365 students from Pre-K through Grade 5..
Humphries Elementary School is located in Southeast Atlanta and borders on the Clayton County line. The population is comprised of 365 students in grades Pre-K - 5 with a racial composition of 85% African American and 15% Hispanic. Many of our students reside in single-parent homes. Approximately 96% of the students qualify for free and reduced meals.